Volunteerism trends in Australia:
- One in four Australians volunteers.
- More young people volunteer to gain work-related experience
- More new Australians volunteer to develop work experience and to practice language skills
- The changing volunteer environment is redefining volunteer commitment as a negotiated and mutually beneficial arrangement rather than a one-way sacrifice of time by the volunteer
- Many corporations incorporate standards and a code of ethics for volunteers; accountability and transparency measures around volunteer administration; and evaluation tools for volunteers.
- December 5th each year is International Volunteer Day.
- Men give more hours each week to volunteer efforts, however, more women volunteer than men do
- Volunteer rates and volunteer hours generally increase with level of education
Resources for Volunteers and Volunteer Coordinators
Pro Bono Australia - www.volunteermatch.com.au
Goodcompany - www.goodcompany.com.au
Volunteering Australia - www.volunteeringaustralia.org
Govolunteer - www.govolunteer.com.au
Seek - www.volunteer.com.au
Australian Volunteer Search - volunteersearch.gov.au
Conservation Volunteers - www.conservationvolunteers.com.au